Sunday, February 06, 2005

Ron Davis

I know it's late but we have a holiday down here called Mardi Gras and I'm not going to the office tomorrow.

Today is the Lord's Day and my family and I are members of Acadiana Presbyterian Church in Lafayette, where we normally worship every Lord's Day. Occasionally Providence decrees that we worship at Hope Presbyterian in Opelousas, where I was this morning.

I was pleased to be led in worship by their new pastor, John Uhl. I met him and spoke with him briefly after worship. He is from South Carolina but his wife is from Alexandria. Pastor Bob Vincent of Grace Church is his father-in-law.

When he found out I had moved from Lake Charles he mentioned Ron Davis, who was my pastor there for several years. Ron died several years ago and is still deeply missed by many. I still think of him very often. He gave me the idea for the name, "Gumbo Filé".

Ron discipled me in the doctrines of grace but more than that he was a friend to me and many others and he was a husband and father with a wonderful family. His departure left a large hole. I thank God often when I think of Ron Davis.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?