Friday, February 25, 2005

Guy Clark, Joe Ely, John Hiatt, & Lyle Lovett

I've been preoccupied the last few days, blogging over at fiber411.com. I can get pretty passionate about ideas that I believe in.

Anyway, I almost forgot all about the big show tomorrow night. I have albums or CD's by three of these guys and have seen two of them perform live before, though not in a long time.

I think that Guy Clark may have written some of my favorite songs, I just don't know which ones they might be. I think he may have written some of the songs that Jerry Jeff Walker made popular in the late 70's. I don't own any of his music and I don't recall ever seeing him perform live. His name is not obscure to me, I just don't know or recall much about him.

John Hiatt is a little more well known. I've seen him on Austin City limits and have one of his CD's. His band has featured local slide-guitar legend, Sonny Landreth. My favorite song by Hiatt is, "Slow Turn." It prominently features Sonny's slide guitar.

Joe Ely may not be very well known but he's been around a long time. I used to attend his live performances at Soap Creek Saloon and Antone's and other venues in Austin, Texas during the year I attended college there. I last saw him perform live in 1978. I have two of his vinyl albums from that era. My favorite songs by Ely are, "Fingernails" ("I keep my fingernails long so they click when I play the piano") and "She Never Spoke Spanish to Me" ("Spanish is the loving tongue").

Lyle Lovett is by far the best known among this list. He and I were at Texas A&M at the same time in 1980 & 1981. The last time I saw him perform live was in 1981. The crowd could have fit in my bathroom, and by that I don't mean to imply that I have a large bathroom. He used to play at parties and coffee-houses in College Station. He and I had mutual friends and I have spoken to him on more than one occasion, though not since 1981. He already had the big hair that he became known for early in his Nashville career. I have one of his CD's. My favorite songs by Lyle are, "What'd I Say" (the same song that Ray Charles made famous) and "If I Had a Boat."

Among these acts you'll find multiple genres but what they all have in common is country. I expect that this show will be mostly, what you might call, "roots country". I'm really getting excited about it. I love this kind of music and I love it live.

The last concert we went to was Simon & Garfunkel with the Everly Brothers, but that's another story. My favorite songs by S&G are almost all of them. I will try not to make comparisons between these two shows.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?